Frequently Asked Questions
- What is FYZip.com?
- What is FYZip?
- Why is FYZip free?
- Is FYZip safe? Is it spyware or malware
- How do I install FYZip?
- I am trying to open a file with FYZip and it asks me for a password.
- I downloaded and installed FYZip but I can't find it on my desktop.
- How do I open a ZIP or RAR file?
- How do I UnRAR?
- How Do I Unarchive Other Files On My Computer?
- Why can't FYZip open some ZIP archives?
- Why does drag-and-drop archive extraction from FYZip to Explorer use temp files?
- Why doesn't the command line version add files without extensions to an archive?
- How do I remove FYZip?
- What if I need help? Who can I contact at FYZip.com?
Q: What is FYZip.com?
A: FYZip.com is dedicated to bringing you a free copy of FYZip, the Web’s leading Open Source file archiving software. The best part: FYZip is FREE & legal to own!
Q: What is FYZip?
A: FYZip is the leading free, Open Source alternative file archiving software. Its functions are similar to popular competitors WinZip or WinRAR.
Q: Why is FYZip free?
A: FYZip is Open Source software, which means developers distribute the software for public use under the GNU General Public License.
Q: Is FYZip safe? Is it spyware or malware?
A: Yes. The FYZip file-archiving software is 100% safe and secure to download and use. It is not infectious malware or spyware that collects information without your knowledge.
Q: How do I install FYZip?
A: Installing FYZip is simple! Download FYZip by clicking on any “Download Now” button—that will initiate the download of the file you will need to install. Once the download is complete, choose to “accept and run” the FYZip application.
Q: I am trying to open a file with FYZip and it asks
me for a password.
A: Only the creator of the zip file can set a password. If it is asking for a password, check with the original creator of the file for that password.
Q: I downloaded and installed FYZip but I can't find
it on my desktop.
A: FYZip automatically downloads into your Programs folder. To find FYZip, go to the Start menu and look in All Programs. FYZip should appear. To open the program, select the FYZip folder.
Q: How do I open a ZIP or RAR file?
A: Opening a ZIP file is commonly called "unzipping." To Unzip a ZIP file:
- Install FYZip
- Now, right click with your mouse on the file you want to unzip
- You can either click "Open" zipped file right now, or "Extract" the file to your computer
- What's the difference between "Open" and "Extract?"
- If you "Open" your file now, you can access it like a normal file. But when you close FYZip, the file will still be zipped-up and compressed.
- If you "Extract" your file, it will become a normal saved file on your computer. Extracting is just like saving a full version to your computer! You can open your unzipped file at any time once you extract it.
Q: How do I UnRAR?
A: UnRARing is just like unzipping. To UnRAR:
- Install FYZip
- Now right click on the file and choose "Open" or "Extract."
- Exactly as outlined above, if you "Open" the file you can access it now, but if you "Extract" it the file will be saved to your computer and you can always access it later.
Q: How Do I Unarchive Other Files On My Computer?
A: Have other file types besides ZIP and RAR that you want to open on your computer? Simply use the same method to open:
- Install FYZip
- Right click on the file and select "Open" or "Extract"
Q: Why can't FYZip open some ZIP archives?
A: In 99% of these cases it means that the archive contains incorrect headers. Other ZIP programs can open some archives with incorrect headers, since these programs just ignore errors.
There are also some ZIP archives that were encoded with methods unsupported by FYZip, for example, WAVPack (WinZip).
Q: Why does drag-and-drop archive extraction from FYZip to Explorer use temp files?
A: FYZip doesn't know folder path of drop target. Only Windows Explorer knows exact drop target. And Windows Explorer needs files (drag source) as decompressed files on disk. So FYZip extracts files from archive to temp folder and then FYZip notifies Windows Explorer about paths of these temp files. Then Windows Explorer copies these files to drop target folder.
To avoid temp file usage, you can use Extract command of FYZip or drag-and-drop from FYZip to FYZip.
Q: Why doesn't the command line version add files without extensions to an archive?
A: You're probably using a *.* wildcard. FYZip doesn't use the operating system's wildcard mask parser, and consequently treats *.* as any file that has an extension. To process all files you must use the * wildcard instead or omit the wildcard altogether.
Q: How do I remove FYZip?
A: We’re sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with FYZip. If you have any questions or concerns, we urge you to Contact Us before you remove FYZip. If you still want to remove FYZip, please follow these Uninstall Instructions.
Q: What if I need help? Who can I contact at
A: We’d love to hear from you! We welcome any feedback from our users to make our product better. If you have comments or concerns regarding the FYZip.com website or the FYZip software, please contact FYZip.com via email at contactus@FYZip.com or visit our Contact Us page.